Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sojourner Truth A'nt I a Woman

Sojourner Truth’s “Aren’t I a Woman?” speech still sends the same message in all there copies. The Version in the 50 essays book is the easiest to understand and read and it’s obviously a little diluted, but the reader can still get the big picture of the speech. The other two versions of Gage’s account of the convention contain much more detail and the original version of Truth’s speech. The extra details and original diction of Truth’s speech really enhance the overall story. The Pathos is stronger and the reader can create a vivid image of the convention at which the story takes place. The speech is written different but it’s not that hard to read or understand; it’s actually more exciting and fun to read than the speech written in the 50 essays book. One thing that stood out the most was that Sojourner’s speech had a different title in all three accounts. (Aren’t I a Woman?, Ain’t I A Woman?, A’nt I a Woman?)

No comments: